Monday, February 29, 2016

My name is George, and I am a Skyrim addict.

     If you're reading this title, this is where you'd talk to your screen and say "Hi, George." So, yeah, I went to a place called K&M - a used game and movie store. For $10, I picked up a copy of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I understand the addiction and arrows to the knee now. I've been playing it in my off hours for the past month.
     What I like about it is that it combines two of my favorite things in gaming: sandbox-style play and character customization.
     What's catchy about it, and the previous Elder Scrolls games (from what I understand), is that it's not class-based. You can custom your own path of progression with skill trees and perks. But, to get an idea of what someone's character does, people usually refer to them by race (as usual) and class. I have two and a half characters. I say a half, since I didn't know how perks worked, so I restarted one after I learned.

     My first character is Sahandrian. Yes, he was named after Corellon Larethian's sword in Dungeons & Dragons lore. And yes, I know that makes me a demigod among geeks for making that reference. So, the first Sahandrian was a wood elf archmage/thief/assassin, and I didn't know how perks worked; I thought you only took perks on the ones that had numbers (like 1/5, etc.). When I learned how perks worked, and that I didn't need to progress at all in the mage school questline to learn from the illusionist at the College of Winterhold, I restarted Sahandrian. First, I mapped out his skill trees and perks, and made him a high elf. Now, at level 28, he's the leader of the Riften Thieves Guild, the leader of the Dark Brotherhood, and can cast Invisibility, though he hasn't progressed very far in the mage college questline, so he's not an archmage (he just needs illusions and some destruction). And this time, I'm having him practice alchemy and grow a garden, so he can make his own poisons. Thanks to the Hearthfire expansion, he has a house, with a greenhouse wing, and a garden. Sounds quaint... but deadly.
     I don't usually play warrior-type characters, so I thought I'd give it a try. Beinir (looked it up in a Norse naming site) is a Nord ranger. Yeah, still stealthy, but will wield a sword if needed. And he's more of a good guy, as he liberated the province of Skyrim from the Empire. I know, half the Stormcloak rebellion are xenophobic jocks, but the cause is more chaotic-good oriented, which is how I envision Beinir. I just need to figure out how to get him more gold.

     Well, I'm off to have dinner, then skulk some dwarven ruins.

No comments:

Post a Comment